- Work closely with Finance and Administration Manager and Senior Finance Officer to ensure compliance with the Foundation’s accounting manual/guidelines.
- Check accurate and timely recording of transactions by field office finance team (Assosa finance, Farm finance, The Pharo Boarding Homosha finance team), Country Office Finance and Admin Officer and post them before deadline.
- Identify gaps and irregularities during document review and advice field office finance staff and country office Finance and Admin Officer on how to improve.
- Develop the technical capacity of field office finance team in collaboration with Country Office Finance and Administration Manager.
- Prepare monthly bank and other balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Review requests for payment documents and ensure the adequacy and sufficiency of supporting documents before payment is made.
- Lead annual fixed asset and stock items counting team and ensure counting report is submitted to management in collaboration with the Country Office Finance and Administration Manager.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, local taxation and The Foundation policies while reviewing financial transactions.
- Prepare staff payroll and facilitate deposit of the same to individual saving bank accounts.
- Ensure suppliers and contractors are paid on time.
- Acquaints himself/herself with the financial and accounting policies and procedures of The Foundation.
- Administers and controls use of approved budgets in collaboration with Finance and Admin Manager.
- Checks appropriateness of requests for payment before passing for approval.
- Review fixed asset record periodically and ensure it is being updated by Field finance/admin team and Country Office Accountant.
- Follow-up old balance sheet accounts and coordinates with relevant team timely clearance.
- BA Degree in Accounting and 8 years related experience preferably in an NGO sector.
- ACCA or similar qualification/partial qualification is a plus.
- Good competency in the area of accounting and Finance.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in computer skills particularly Microsoft Office, especially use of Excel.
- Collaboration skills, being driven to work with others and able to build strong working relationship.
- Analytical thinking
- Motivated to learn and perform and not afraid to ask questions.
- Willing to challenge status quo and add value by introducing positive change.
- Excellent communicator and comfortable to work in a team environment.
How to Apply
Review of complete applications will be on a rolling basis. In the event that we identify an outstanding early in the search process, we reserve the right to appoint before the deadline. For this reason, we encourage interested candidates to apply at the earliest possible time. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to contact short-listed candidates.
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address:
Please indicate ‘’Application for Finance Officer- Addis Ababa’’ in the email subject line.
- A detailed CV and Covering Letter,
- A 500-word essay on the below:
- What experience have you gained that makes you the most qualified candidate for the role?
- A one-page list of five references with current addresses, phone numbers, and email contacts.